Wednesday, November 9, 2011

The Dessert House (Southside)

The Dessert House just recently opened and many people have presented things to us that we should try it since we really hang out at bubble tea shops...

Lkung's Thoughts
So... how should I start this but personally maybe because they had just opened recently they have some things to improve... They had a lengthy menu but all the food items are like taped out (like crossed out but with tape over it that says out). We asked the server if she had all the foods on the menu and lets be realistic that they did not... They said they don't have a deep fryer yet so hence anything on the menu that was deep fried was like good luck. I appreciate the efforts they tried but I don't think they really know what they are doing about the food.

Lets start with the bubble tea because I'm sure that is one of the features on the menu. They are quite creative with how you can almost select what you want in your bubble tea. They let you mix flavors and make it your own. I personally had a green apple red tea with pineapple jelly and well it tasted much syrup and water, no tea flavoring at all...

I also ordered fish tofu with satay, fried stuffed tofu with curry, fruit juice with fresh fruit - mango fruit juice with grass jelly and fresh fruit (they call it something else but I don't remember).

Food and bbt wise I don't think it met any standards I had... I mean personally I'm not too picky with bbt and like snack foods like that... According to Josie my tofu was stuffed and let me tell you it tasted like tofu to me... And the part about fried... very misleading... tasted like an ounce of oil drowned in tofu and second, there is like no point of ordering satay or curry, you might as well have bought the sauce from the can and just put it on my tofu... no difference... like such a lack of heart in cooking the food.

Service wise I really think the servers tried, they occasionally checked on us but it was a pretty quiet place I think and they had some kind of Chinese tv show they were watching behind the counter.

Overall the bill came out to be about 45 dollars-ish with a minor tip i believe...
Hopefully they get better and perhaps I will get the chance to go back and try when everything is in place...
Many people do like it and it is a very unique idea though so kudos to them. =)

My rating's

Cleanliness... 5
Food/Bubble tea - 2
Service - 2 (wasn't much interaction and well english wasn't a first language, not a bias just that hinders the interaction even so simple as ordering and asking about product availability)
Pricing - 3 (Its the normal price of a bubble tea but food wise I think the pricing can be better since seriously the food we tasted wasn't all that great and didn't have that much effort in it)


JosieNg's Thoughts
I don't even know where to start with the dessert house. I was actually excited to try what they had to offer until I actually went to try their food and they really didnt have much to offer. It was pretty disappointing to open up their menu and see that mostly everything on their menu was taped with an X and had 'out' written all over it. So I asked ther server about the food items that were canceled out and the waitress told me that their kitchen still doesnt have a deep fryer so all food items that had to be deep fried (which was most of the food items) had to be crossed out. They told us that they should be getting a deep fryer some time in December. But of course we were already there and there were still some foods and drinks to try so we decided to stay and try out what they did have on their menu.

Okay so I ordered the lychee slush with lychee boba to drink. The boba in the drink was pretty interesting. The boba was good but the drink itself wasnt very good. It didnt have the lychee flavor in the drink that there  usually is in a lychee drink. It just tasted like sugar water with lychee pop boba pieces.

Next is the food. I ordered the fried stuff tofu with satay on top. And let me tell you this right now. I am from Brunei. I know what satay tastes like. I have eaten lots and lots of satay in these 20 years of my life. What they put on their tofu did not taste like satay at all. It was grainy and tasted like it was from a can. The tofu was supposedly 'deep fried'.  It did not taste deep fried to me at all. It was not crispy or anything. The tofu was soft and tasted like they boiled it in oil...BOILED not FRIED. So when you bite into this tofu a bunch of oil would squirt out of this tofu and all you would taste is oil. Overall this was gross and the food was bland. And yes like LKung stated above the meat did not taste like meat at all. The meat had the texture of a tofu so you wouldn't even know that there was meat inside it.

I also ordered a dessert. I had the baked banana dish with vanilla ice cream. At first, just from looking at it, it looked like a really good dish. The banana's were wrapped in some pastry sheets and baked. Then they put some vanila ice cream on top of that. When I took my first bite of this dessert there was no taste of banana anywhere. And the texture of banana wasn't there either. The banana tasted like the pastry sheets that were wrapped around them. The bananas they used were not fresh but frozen so the taste and texture of the banana kind of disappeared.

They certainly have a very creative menu but it definitely needs alot more work put into it.

I dont think I would go back even when they have a deep fryer. I dont think having a deep fryer would make a difference in the love that they put into their food.

And my rating's are...

Cleanliness - 5
Food/Bubble tea - 0.5
Service - 1 ( Didn't really see the waitress very often. She was at the back watching some Chinese television show)
Pricing - 2 (In my opinion the pricing was kinda high especially for a place that has not so good food and drinks.)




The Dessert House on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment